AN TAOISEACH Leo Varadkar has defended sending a controversial tweet about Princess Diana on the same day two homeless people died within hours of each other.
Mr Varadkar defended his social media post in an interview with TV3 News in Ireland last night, September 6.
The Taoiseach had previously come under fire for sending a tweet commemorating the 20th anniversary of Princess Diana's death last week, after two homeless people died within hours of each other in Dublin and Kildare.
"Still remember where I was the moment I heard Diana had died. Hard to believe it's twenty years," he said.
Will you remember where you were today when 2 homeless people died under your watch. Start caring for the vulnerable not the over privileged
— Con Crean (@ConCrean) August 31, 2017
Speaking on TV3 last night, Mr Varadkar said "reasonable people" understand that a tweet is not reflective of responsibilities.
"Most reasonable people - particularly anyone on Twitter - will understand that what you may send a tweet out about on any given day is not a reflection necessarily of your responsibilities," he said.
Mr Varadkar also went on to say that his Government need to "do more" to solve the homeless crisis.
"Each one was a very sad event and an individual death with individual circumstances, often to do with things other than accommodation.
"People who understand homelessness will know how complex it is. It involves other issues, mental health and physical health and other things as well.
"It has been the case in some homeless deaths that people didn't actually seek accommodation on that night, even when it was available - but that can be for complex reasons - but we do need to do more in this space."