DUBLIN FIRE Brigade has served up a grim reminder of the dangers of charging electronic devices near or under bedding.
With temperatures dropping below zero and weather conditions proving treacherous at best, plenty are opting to stay warm and cosy indoors.
But while laptops, tablets and Blu-Ray players offer a modicum of escapism during the the bleak mid-winter, users need to stay on guard.
The warning comes after Dublin’s Fire Brigade shared images from a fire at a South Dublin property that began after the homeowner began charging an electronic device under a pillow on their bed.
The result was a blaze that destroyed much of the owner’s bedroom and could have been significantly worse had the door to the box room not been closed.
That stopped the spread of the blaze, but the impact remained devastating to say the least.
Furniture, clothing and other personal items were destroyed in the ensuing fire, not to mention an array of nearby electronics.
Firefighters fought a fire in a box-bedroom in South Dublin this week. The most likely cause was a phone or tablet left charging under the pillow of the bed. A closed door stopped the spread of fire to the rest of the house.
Never ever charge devices on a bed or under bedding. pic.twitter.com/Upud8LH8wT
— Dublin Fire Brigade #StayHomeSaveLives (@DubFireBrigade) February 9, 2020
But while all of these items may have been lost, the grim reality showcased in the photographs shared is that it could have been significantly worse.
It's recommended that you always try to limit the number of plugs set up in any one room and always ensure smoke alarms are properly installed.
A spokesperson for Dublin Fire Brigade wrote: "Firefighters fought a fire in a box-bedroom in South Dublin this week.
"The most likely cause was a phone or tablet left charging under the pillow of the bed.
"A closed door stopped the spread of fire to the rest of the house.
"Never ever charge devices on a bed or under bedding."