AN IRISHMAN has been charged with rape and assault following a city-wide manhunt in Manchester for him.
Trevor Lawlor, 31, of Wesley Street, Failsworth, Manchester – and previously of Blanchardstown, Dublin – has been charged with rape, attempted rape, trespass with intent to commit a sexual offence and assault.
Greater Manchester Police made the arrest in the city centre on the afternoon of Friday, July 10.
It comes after Greater Manchester Police investigated two cases of assault in the early hours of Friday last.
Greater Manchester Police said that they received reports of an attempted rape of a 24-year-old woman, who was sleeping beside her son in bed at her Newton Heath home.
The attempted rape, which occurred shortly after 4.40am on Friday, July 10, was disturbed by the woman’s boyfriend, who was sleeping in the next room. The attacker then fled the scene.
The woman is currently being treated in hospital for serious injuries – her son was not harmed.
Police later received reports that a 33-year-old woman had been raped and seriously assaulted at her Failsworth home.
The victim is recovering from severe injuries in hospital. A baby was in the house at the time and was unharmed.
Detective Inspector Chris Flint of the North Manchester division said: “These are horrific incidents, during which the victims’ children were present. We have specially trained officers supporting the women and their families at this distressing time.”
Mr Lawlor appeared before Manchester and Salford Magistrates Court today where he entered no plea.
He remains in custody and his case is to be heard before Manchester Crown Court on Monday, July 27.