Kent man Patrick Murphy jailed for stabbing father after argument about phone charger

Kent man Patrick Murphy jailed for stabbing father after argument about phone charger

A MAN in Kent has been sentenced to 27 years in prison after stabbing his father to death after an argument about a phone charger.

Patrick Murphy, 30, killed his father in the attack at the family home in the town of Tonbridge, Kent last year by stabbing him in the chest and arms.

Joe Murphy, 54, died at the scene on May 19, 2015 after emergency services received reports that two men had suffered serious knife wounds.

He also stabbed his brother, who later recovered from his injuries in hospital.

“This really is a tragic case involving the death of a man who was both a father and a husband,” said Detective Chief Inspector Tony Pledger from Kent Police's Major Crime Unit.

“The attack followed what appeared to have been a trivial row over a phone charger.”

On the evening of May 19, Patrick Murphy left the family home on Hectorage Road in Tonbridge, a market town near Royal Tunbridge Wells.

He returned about two hours later armed with a number of knives he had purchased in a supermarket. He stabbed his father first before turning on his brother.

Charged with murder, Mr Murphy was convicted of manslaughter and wounding with intent March 2 at Maidstone Crown Court.

He will serve 18 years for manslaughter and was also sentenced to nine years for the crime against his brother.

The sentences are set to run concurrently.

“We may never know exactly what was going through the head of Patrick Murphy, as he carried out this brutal and sustained assault inside the family home, but I would like to pay tribute to Joe Murphy’s family after what has been a very difficult time for them,” DCI Pledger added.

“There can never be any excuse for the level of violence that was used by Murphy and his actions have devastated and torn apart the family. He now faces a long time in prison.”

Updated on March 7, 2.08pm: Correction to defendant's sentence