Belfast boxer fined in Australia following nightclub incident at Commonwealth Games
News

Belfast boxer fined in Australia following nightclub incident at Commonwealth Games

NORTHERN IRISH boxer Sean McComb has been fined and issued with a banning notice following an incident at a nightclub in Australia, where he is representing his country at the Commonwealth Games.

The Commonwealth Games Council also confirmed that McComb has also been banned from the Gold Coast’s nightclub districts for the remainder of his time in Australia.

Police were called to Sin City Nightclub in Surfers Paradise at around 2.45am on Tuesday, where they fined McComb.

A police spokesman for Queensland Police said punches were thrown in a clash with security guards outside the venue but no one was injured.

McComb was banned from the Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach Safe Night Precincts for 10 days and banned $756.

Advertisement

The statement from Queensland Police read: “A 25-year-old man from Northern Ireland was issued with an infringement notice for public nuisance (violence) overnight after police were called to a Surfers Paradise nightclub at 2.45am.

“It will be alleged the man was creating a disturbance and police were called. No one was injured.

“The man was also issued with a banning notice for Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach Safe Night Precincts. The value of the fine is $756 Australian dollars.”

McComb was beaten 4-1 in his quarter-final clash against English fighter Luke McCormack on Sunday.

Despite the defeat, McComb is one of Ireland’s leading amateur boxers and is aiming to secure qualification for the Olympic Games in Tokyo in 2020.

Advertisement

Northern Ireland chef de mission Robert McVeigh said in a video posted on the BBC website: “It is something we cannot condone and we have to apologise to the good people of Gold Coast and it is very disappointing when something like this happens”.

“This is a serious blow to our reputation. We are held in high esteem within the Commonwealth and we’ve done so over many, many Games.

“And to have something like this take away our success so far and the success we’re going to have is really, really disappointing.

“We will interview Sean McComb when he comes in and we will be meeting with the police to see what action needs to be taken as a result of this.”

There is a possibility that the Northern Irish light-welterweight boxer could now be sent home early from the Games.