A COMMUNITY in West Clare is grieving as the Irishman who died on a building site in Wimbledon has been named as Kevin Hoare.
Mr Hoare, aged 25, from Bealaha on the Loop Head peninsula was working with concrete on site at the time of his accident.
Metropolitan Police were called by the London Ambulance Service shortly before 2pm on Monday, February 13, to reports of a man seriously injured at the building site in Cranbrook Road, SW19.
Despite attempts by paramedics to revive the man, he was declared dead at the scene.
West Clare Fine Gael Councillor, Gabriel Keating, told The Irish Post that the community in West Clare is in "deep shock" following the tragic death of Mr Hoare.
"I knew him very well, his family, as well as his parents and his grandparents.
"He was a bright young man, good hard worker, very popular in the area. I must say the community in west Clare, in the Loop Head peninsula, we were all shocked to learn of his tragic death."
Cllr Keating said Mr Hoare, who has a sister back in Clare, had moved to London with his brother for work.
"We're all in deep shock," Cllr Keating said. "I'm not aware of the exact circumstances of his death but the outcome is very sad."
It's understood Mr Hoare's parents were him and his brother at the time of the tragic incident.
An eyewitness to the incident told the Wimbledon Guardian earlier this week that it appeared a ball used to clean out concrete pumps had become wedged in the pipe, causing a build-up of pressure that resulted in the ball flying of the pump with force.
The witness, who called the ambulance, said the ball hit the young man in the head, throwing him across the road.
He said: “There was big bang. It was a huge noise, it sounded like Concorde.
“This ball came flying out of this truck. It hit him straight in the head and lifted him off the ground. It was awful.
“It looked like a freak accident.
“It was instant, I’m sure he didn’t feel it.
“I will never forget it. It was horrendous. I will never forget it for as long as I live,” the witness added.
Police have said his next of kin have been informed and the Health and Safety Executive have been informed.
They added that enquires into the incident are continuing.
The Irish Department of Foreign Affairs have said they are providing consular assistance.