Two gardaí shot after gunman opens fire from window in Dublin house siege

Two gardaí shot after gunman opens fire from window in Dublin house siege

TWO GARDAI suffered gunshot wounds after a man opened fire from the window of a house in Dublin.

The shootings came during a tense standoff with officers in the Whitechapel Grove area of Dublin 15 just after 7pm on Tuesday.

The deranged gunman barricaded himself inside the property before taking aim at the Gardaí on the scene with a machine pistol.

He is thought to have let off at least seven rounds

Footage shared on social media showed the aftermath of the attack, with the two injured officers seen being carried away by their colleagues.

The two officers suffered gunshot wounds to the foot and hand, respectively. After being treated at the scene by paramedics they were transported to Connolly Memorial Hospital.

Despite the severity of the situation, their injuries are not considered to be life-threatening.

Gardai subsequently sealed off the estate, with Garda Armed Support Units were put in place alongside Emergency Response Units.

Specialist negotiators were also brought in to talk the suspect down.

The standoff ended just before 9:30pm when the man threw down his two guns and exited the property.

According to the Irish Sun, matters came to a head when the gunman attempted to order a takeaway.

When the delivery driver was unable to hand over the meal, due to the estate being sealed off, a deal was reportedly brokered that saw officers agree to provide the shooter with his food as long as he surrendered himself into their custody.

He was subsequently taken to Blanchardstown Garda Station, where he is being held and can be questioned for up to three days before a formal charge is issued.

Alongside the machine pistol reportedly used in the shooting officers also recovered a handgun.

According to a statement from the Garda Press Office, the incident began when the suspect opened fire on a plain clothed officer.

“The Garda members took cover behind a patrol car and an exchange of firearms occurred between the male and the armed detectives,” a spokesperson said.

“The patrol car was struck a number of times by bullets.

“Both male detective Gardaí, 30’s, received gunshot wounds to the foot and one also received a hand wound.

“Responding Garda Units sealed off the area around the house in Whitechapel Grove. Both inner cordons of Armed Support Unit personnel and an outer cordon of uniform and plain clothes Gardaí was established.

“A number of houses in the area were evacuated for the safety of the occupants.

“An Garda Síochána put in place a Critical Fireman’s Incident response, an Operational Commander was appointed; supported by resources from National Negotiators Unit, Emergency Response Unit and Armed Support Units.

“An extended barricade incident developed and following intensive negotiations, shortly after 9.30pm two firearms, an automatic pistol and a handgun, were surrendered from the house.

“Both firearms and ammunition have been recovered. A short time later a male, in his late 30s was arrested at the scene and is currently detained at Blanchardstown Garda Station under section 30 Offences Against the State Act 1939.

“Both injured Garda detectives are currently receiving medical treatment at Connolly Memorial Hospital for non-life threatening gunshot wounds.

“Gardaí at Blanchardstown continue to investigate all the circumstances of this critical firearms incident.

“As the incident involved the discharge of official Garda firearms the incident has also been referred to the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission."

Commenting on incident, Commissioner Drew Harris praised all of the officers involved for their handling of the situation.

“I want to commend all the gardai involved in securing a successful outcome to this firearms incident,” Commissioner Harris said.

“In particular, the bravery of the two detectives who were first on scene. This was another in a long line of examples of gardai putting themselves on the line to keep people safe. I want to wish them a speedy recovery.”

Taoiseach Micheal Martin also expressed his shock and dismay at the standoff while passing on his best wishes to those officers injured.

“I was shocked and deeply concerned to learn that two gardai were injured in the course of their duties this evening,” he said.

“I wish both gardai a swift and full recovery, and I thank them for their service on behalf of the public.

“This incident in Dublin shows yet again the danger An Garda Siochana often face in their efforts to protect and serve the people.

“We should always be very grateful for all the work they do on a daily basis on our behalf.”