Irish woman died after accidentally overdosing on paracetamol
News

Irish woman died after accidentally overdosing on paracetamol

AN IRISH WOMAN died after accidentally overdosing on paracetamol she was taking for pain relief.

Rebecca Bissett took paracetamol over Easter weekend in 2018 and was rushed to hospital on Easter Monday.

She was described as "a great daughter" by her mother and "much loved by her family".

Ms Bissell lived at her family home in Co. Longford with her mother and two brothers.

Over the Easter weekend she complained of pain and told her relatives she was taking paracetamol to deal with it, according to the Irish Independent.

Advertisement

Three days before her death, Rebecca became reportedly become drowsy, which worried her family.

After noticing  an open paracetamol tablet bottle, Rebecca's brother asked her how many she'd taken. She told him that she'd taken three.

Her brother than drover her to Cavan General Hospital the next day, where she was admitted to the A&E department.

She later developed liver failure and became critically ill, and was transferred to St. Vincent's Hospital in Dublin the next day.

It became apparent that she would need a liver transplant in order to save her life, but she died less than 24 hours later.

A post-mortem examination found that her liver had dissolved due to the effects of the paracetamol, and the cause of the death was officially given as multi-organ failure, secondary to liver failure due to paracetamol toxicity.

In the past, Ms Bissett had experienced weight problems and had undergone gastric bypass surgery in 2009.

Advertisement

She weighed 32 stone and was due to have cosmetic surgery when she reduced her weight to just 15 stone.

She was also a type-2 diabetic, and was on a controlled diet.