FORMER NEWCASTLE PLAYER Christian Atsu has been found 'alive and pulled from the rubble of a building after a 7.7 magnitude earthquake hit an area of Turkey.
Reports surfaced yesterday that the 31-year-old Ghana international went missing after devastating earthquakes which have claimed more than 4,000 lives across Turkey and Syria hit the region
Atsu, who plays for Hatayspor in the Turkish Super Lig was caught up in the natural disaster in the area of Kahramanmaras, along with Hatayspor sporting director Taner Savut. Savut is said to be still in the collapsed building according to reports.
Update: We've received some positive news that Christian Atsu has been successfully rescued from the rubble of the collapsed building and is receiving treatment.
Let’s continue to pray for Christian🙏🏽
— Ghana Football Association (@ghanafaofficial) February 7, 2023
Hatayspor vice president Mustafa Oza gave updates on a Turkish Radio station 'Radyo Gol', and said that Atsu had been found, but the search for Savut for ongoing.
"Christian Atsu was taken out with injuries. Our sporting director, Taner Savut, is unfortunately still under the rubble.”
He added: “Hatay was deeply affected. We are coming towards the end of the most dangerous hours.”
Ghana’s football association also confirmed that their player had been found. They wrote on Twitter: “Update: We’ve received some positive news that Christian Atsu has been successfully rescued from the rubble of the collapsed building and is receiving treatment. Let’s continue to pray for Christian.”
Atsu played for the likes of Newcastle United, Everton, Chelsea, before joining Hatayspor in September. He was last selected to play for Ghana in 2019, but has not hung his boots up just yet