A MAN is being treated for serious burns in hospital after he was electrocuted while trying to retrieve a drone from power lines in Dublin.
The incident occurred at Cabinteely Park in Dún Laoghaire, south Co. Dublin yesterday evening and resulted in a temporary loss of power to local homes.
The man, understood to be aged in his 20s, had been using a rod to recover the drone after it became stuck in overhead electrical wires when he suffered the high-voltage shock.
Firefighters and paramedics responded to the incident and treated the man for serious burns at the scene before bringing him to a local hospital.
Following a serious incident involving our Network tonight and to assist the Emergency Services, power supply to the #Cabinteely and surrounding areas had to be interrupted for a short period. Apologies.#staysafeStayclear
— ESB Networks (@ESBNetworks) 27 June 2019
ESB Networks said power supply was cut off to Cabinteely and surrounding areas for around half an hour after the incident, leaving approximately 1,000 customers in the dark.
The utility also confirmed the wires that electrocuted the man were carrying 10,000 volts.
Dublin Fire Brigade took to social media following the incident last night to warn people never to go near ESB cables.
The DFB tweeted: "Firefighter/Paramedics from Dún Laoghaire responded with @LoughlinstwnNAS to a person suffering from burns after being electrocuted trying to retrieve a drone in a South Dublin park.
"@ESBNetworks have confirmed that it was a 10kV line. NEVER EVER attempt to go near ESB cables."
Firefighter/Paramedics from Dun Laoghaire responded with @LoughlinstwnNAS to a person suffering from burns after being electrocuted trying to retrieve a drone in a South Dublin park. @ESBNetworks have confirmed that it was a 10kV line. NEVER EVER attempt to go near ESB cables. pic.twitter.com/LUchIYxxqF
— Dublin Fire Brigade (@DubFireBrigade) 27 June 2019