Elderly Irishman found dead in his home from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning
News

Elderly Irishman found dead in his home from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

GARDAÍ have launched an investigation after an elderly man was found dead in his house last night from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

The man, aged in his 70s, was found unresponsive at his home in Connolly Place, Waterford city at around 8.15pm yesterday evening.

He was pronounced dead at the scene a short time later.

The pensioner's body was removed to University Hospital Waterford where a post-mortem is due to be carried out today.

Gas Networks Ireland sent a team to the scene but no evidence of a natural gas leak was found.

The house remains sealed off this morning to allow for a forensic examination.

Advertisement

In a statement, GNI said: “Gas Networks Ireland was asked by the Waterford Fire Service to attend an incident at 29 Connolly Place, Waterford City.

“While the cause of the incident is unknown, we can confirm that it is not related to natural gas. Gas Networks Ireland crew attended on site and assisted the emergency services with their operations.”

Gardaí said foul play is not suspected and enquiries are ongoing.

Checks of neighbouring properties were carried out last night but the homes were deemed safe.