CHINA has officially congratulated Joe Biden on his victory in the US presidential election.
Governments around the world have been sending their congratulations to the former Vice President, after the election was called in his favour on Saturday, but notably, Russia and China weren't among them.
However, the latter has finally chimed in.
"We congratulate Mr Biden and Ms Harris," said foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin.
"We respect the choice of the American people."
Relations between the US and China aren't exactly rosy at the moment.
Donald Trump has made it abundantly clear that he blames China for the coronavirus pandemic, and hit out at the World Health Organization on a number of occasions for what he perceived to an all too China-focused plan in battling the virus.
After recently being elected to the United Nations Human Rights Council, China gave a damning assessment of America's human rights record, one that many in the West perceive to be somewhat hypocritical.
"China wishes to recommend to the US:
- Root out systematic racism. Address widespread police brutality, and combat discrimination against African and Asian Americans.
- Urge politicians to respect people's rights to life and health, and stop politicising and stigmatising the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Take holistic measures to eliminate rich/poor polarisation and social inequality.
- Combat the increasingly severe religious intolerance and xenophobia.
- Stop incarcerating migrants, including migrant children, and guarantee the rights of migrants."
They went on to criticise America's record on military intervention in foreign countries, torture and killing civilians.