THE parents of Madeleine McCann have revealed they chose not to participate in a Netflix documentary about their daughter's disappearance as it could "hinder" the police investigation.
According to reports, the streaming giant is expected to air an eight-part docu-drama series later this month about the three-year-old's disappearance from her family's holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, Portugal on May 3, 2007.
In a lengthy statement, Gerry and Kate McCann hit out at the rumoured programme – which they claimed did not reflect their "views and preferences".
They said: "We are aware that Netflix are planning to screen a documentary in March 2019 about Madeleine’s disappearance.
"The production company told us that they were making the documentary and asked us to participate.
"We did not see – and still do not see – how this programme will help the search for Madeleine and, particularly given there is an active police investigation, it could potentially hinder it.
"Consequently, our views and preferences are not reflected in the programme.
"We will not be making any further statements or giving interviews regarding this programme."
Mr and Mrs McCann, who live in Rothley, Leicestershire, have always pledged never to give up the search for their missing daughter.
Scotland Yard launched its own investigation into Maddie's disappearance in 2013, Operation Grange, after a much-maligned probe by Portuguese police came to a standstill.
In November last year, a further £150,000 was granted to the investigation to allow it to continue until April. Detectives have been applying for funding from the Home Office every six months to prolong the inquiry – which has cost UK taxpayers almost £12 million so far.
The upcoming documentary will reportedly include interviews with key figures and investigators from the unsolved case.