THE victim of an acid attack in Waterford has said that he feared he’d lost his sight forever after he was assaulted last week.
Tega Agberhiere and two of his friends suffered first-degree burns after they had a corrosive substance thrown over them in the Earlscourt estate of Waterford.
The 16-year-old has represented The Republic of Ireland football team at youth level.
He told Waterford radio station WLR FM that he thought he would “never be able to see again” following the attack.
“I can see from both eyes but it’s swollen so it’s hard to open them,” he said in a video published on the radio station’s twitter page.
“My vision should return to what it was before. I don’t know if I need skin grafts yet, they’re waiting a few weeks for it to heal before I find out.
“The pain was so bad I can’t even describe. I thought I’d never be able to see again. I never thought I’d be able to see another thing in my life.
Some viewers may find the following content distressing - Acid/chemical attack victim Tega Agberhiere (16) speaks publicly for the first time, exclusively to WLR, thanking all those who have wished him well. Full video available on the WLR Facebook page ↪ https://t.co/E1WzsnWljj pic.twitter.com/WuueNWYqLr
— WLR (@wlrfm) May 2, 2019
The teenager has since received a message of support from Ireland manager Mick McCarthy which he said “made me happy.”
McCarthy said: “I was shocked to hear what happened to Tega and his friends in Waterford.
“I wish them all well as they recover from the effects of this attack.
“I know Tega is a very promising young footballer and I hope and pray that he is back on the pitch in the very near future.
“My best wishes to Tega, to his friends and to their families.”
Tega has been moved to Cork University Hospital due to the severity of his injuries.
Gardai arrested four males in their teens last Saturday in relation to the attack but they were later released without charge.