NETFLIX has released a trailer for its controversial new documentary series The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann.
The eight-part film, which drops on the streaming service tomorrow, details the disappearance of British three-year-old Maddie from her family's holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, Portugal on May 3, 2007 as well as subsequent investigations.
The docu-series promises to examine every theory and suspect – and the missing toddler's parents – in a bid to piece together what happened to her.
In a lengthy statement last week, Gerry and Kate McCann expressed their dismay at the upcoming release of the documentary.
"We are aware that Netflix are planning to screen a documentary in March 2019 about Madeleine’s disappearance," they said.
"The production company told us that they were making the documentary and asked us to participate.
"We did not see – and still do not see – how this programme will help the search for Madeleine and, particularly given there is an active police investigation, it could potentially hinder it.
"Consequently, our views and preferences are not reflected in the programme.
"We will not be making any further statements or giving interviews regarding this programme."
Mr and Mrs McCann, who live in Rothley, Leicestershire, have always pledged never to give up the search for their missing daughter.
Scotland Yard launched its own investigation into Maddie's disappearance in 2013, Operation Grange, after a much-maligned probe by Portuguese police came to a standstill.
In November last year, a further £150,000 was granted to the investigation to allow it to continue until April. Detectives have been applying for funding from the Home Office every six months to prolong the inquiry – which has cost UK taxpayers almost £12 million so far.
The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann drops on Netflix tomorrow, Friday March 15.