HONEY-KISSED is a rather dainty way of expressing flavour, but for the sake of this gorgeous whiskey cake, it's perfect.
Honey works best when it accentuates everything around it, and the focus here - naturally - is the Irish whiskey.
Alcohol usually acts as a supporting player in most desserts, but here it's the star of the whole show, without being too overpowering.
Slightly boozy, slightly sweet. The perfect cake, wouldn't you agree?
If you fancy baking one yourself, here's everything you need to know, courtesy of Baking Sense:
What you will need:
For the batter
- 4 large eggs, plus 2 yolks
- 1/4 cup (1.5 oz, 40g) vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon, grated fine
- 1/3 cup (4oz, 112g) honey
- 1 cup (8 oz, 250ml) buttermilk, divided
- 2 1/2 cups (11.25 oz, 315g) cake flour
- 1 cup (8 oz, 225g) granulated sugar
- 2.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 oz, 170g) unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into 1" chunks
For the whiskey glaze
- 1/2 cup (4 oz, 110g) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (2 oz, 60 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (4 oz, 112g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (6oz, 168g) honey
- 1/2 cup (4 oz, 120 ml) Irish Whiskey (I use Jameson, see note)
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
Here's rundown, courtesy of Baking Sense