A SCHOOL in Dublin has closed its doors for two weeks after it was confirmed a pupil had been diagnosed with coronavirus.
The student was the first person in Ireland to be confirmed with the disease, having been officially diagnosed on Saturday.
The school, which is understood to be in Glasnevin, Dublin 9, made the decision to close on Sunday following the confirmation.
Health officials have been in contact with the school and the principal, staff and parents of pupils of this school have been notified.
The pupil with coronavirus, who is currently receiving medial treatment, is the second person on the island of Ireland to have contracted the illness.
It was confirmed on Thursday that a woman in Northern Ireland had the disease.
Chief Medical Officer at the Department of Health Dr Tony Holohan told RTÉ’s Morning Ireland that the staff and pupils at the school have been asked to "limit social interactions" as much as possible.
A telephone helpline has been established for those involved and a public meeting will be held tonight in the local area.
Holohan said the risk of transmission of the virus "will still be low", and reassured people that the HSE has the measures in place in the instance that further people fall ill from the virus.
Holohan added that "the vast majority" of those who have contracted Covid-19 abroad, "in particular children", have a mild infection and recover completely.
Over 3,000 people have died from coronavirus since the outbreak started in Wuhan, China back in December.
Health Minister Simon Harris said last week that while more cases are expected in Ireland over the coming weeks, the government is preparing with a plan to deal with any outbreak.