IRELAND and Munster scrumhalf Conor Murray has signed a new deal which will see him remain in Ireland until 2022.
The 29-year-old, who is out of action with an unspecified injury at the moment, has attracted interest from overseas over the last year.
However, he has now ended speculation over his future by agreeing on a contract extension with the Irish Rugby Football Union which will keep him here for a further four years.
According to Munster and the IRFU, Murray signed the extension back in early September.
His previous IRFU contract was due to end after next year’s Rugby World Cup in Japan.
On the announcement of the deal, Murray said: “I am delighted to have signed on with the IRFU until at least 2022.
“Over the past few seasons I’ve enjoyed great days in the green of Ireland and the red of my home province Munster. I love playing here and look forward to making more life long memories in the next few years.”
I am delighted to have signed on with the IRFU until at least 2022. Over the past few seasons I’ve enjoyed great days in the green of Ireland and the red of my home province Munster. I love playing here and look forward to making more life long memories in the next few years.Tnks pic.twitter.com/EWflKRQcHh
— Conor Murray (@ConorMurray_9) October 10, 2018
Murray has played his entire career with Munster and has emerged as one of the world's best scrum-halves in recent years.
As well as earning 67 international caps for Ireland, Murray has also toured both Australia and New Zealand with the Lions, starting all three tests against the All Blacks in 2017.
Murray has won three Six Nations titles with Ireland, in 2014, 2015 and a Grand Slam last March and has also played in two World Cups.
IRFU performance director David Nucifora said: “Conor is a genuinely world class player and he has illustrated this through the consistent quality of the performances he delivers for both Ireland and Munster.
“He has played a central role in driving the success that has been achieved at national level and we are delighted that he will continue to play his rugby in Ireland for at least the next three seasons.”