Man accused of headbutting Roy Keane at the Emirates Stadium found guilty

Man accused of headbutting Roy Keane at the Emirates Stadium found guilty

The 43-year-old man accused of headbutting former Manchester United captain Roy Keane has been found guilty today

The incident between Scott Law and Roy Keane happened during Arsenal's 3-1 victory over Manchester United last September. Scott Law went on trial last week after pleading not guilty to a charge of common assault. The issue took place when Keane and his fellow Sky Sports pundit, Michah Richards, were about to work on the final match analysis after the game-heard trial at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court. 

A video showing the moment where Law of  Waltham Abbey, Essex, and Keane met showed that the Ireland legend was headbutted through doors at the Emirates Stadium

Law’s defence team claimed that Keane elbowed the defendant in the head. This CCTV footage from the stadium was shown in court.

Former Manchester City defender Richards denied accusations that he claimed to witness the headbutt because he was Roy Keane's "mate" and "stooge." He stated that he "grappled" with Law after the incident and was in "disbelief" at what he saw, expressing sympathy for Keane, whom he considers a friend.

Richards argued that the actions shown in the CCTV footage, alleged by Law's defence to show Keane elbowing Law in the face, wouldn't warrant a sending-off.

Footage also shared on social media showed Richards calming an apparent confrontation after the match.

Law, who was near the Sky Sports studio during the game, described Keane as "very animated" and "angry," behaviour he had never seen from someone working in the Sky box. He claimed Keane banged on the window, demanded to see him outside, and pointed to doors in the box.

Law said he went inside the stadium to use the toilet and collided with Keane. Prosecutor Simon Jones KC questioned Law's account, asking if he was seriously saying that Keane ran into the top of his head. Law, who cried during questioning, said he lowered his head defensively to protect his face.

Jones criticised Law's defence as "ridiculous" and noted dramatic changes from his initial police statement. Law explained the discrepancies by saying he had no sleep and felt "guilty by the media," calling it the worst night of his life.

Law, a civil engineer, said he had been an Arsenal fan “from birth” and said his Emirates Stadium season ticket was his “prized possession”.

He told the court: “It’s the main part of my social circle. My wife organises her diary around Arsenal fixtures because she knows I’ll be there.”