Champions Dundalk win again

Champions Dundalk win again

Reigning champions Dundalk continue to set the pace at the top of the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division table, their winning run continuing with a 2-0 win at Longford Town on Saturday.

After a fairly evenly matched and goalless first half, Daryl Horgan broke the deadlock early in the second with a fine goal, picking up Ronan Finn's pass and curling a 20 yard shot in off the underside of the crossbar.

The Lilywhites rounded off the evening with a second goal in stoppage time when Horgan turned creator to play a neat back heeled pass into the path of John Mountney, who buried a shot from 20 yards to keep Dundalk in pole position.

Cork City are back in second place, but had to rely on an 88th minute winner from Mark O'Sullivan to seal a 3-2 victory over Sligo Rovers at Turner's Cross.

The Leesiders were 2-0 up after half an hour thanks to a double from Karl Sheppard, the first arriving after just 28 seconds, but John Russell pulled a goal back for the visitors seven minutes before half-time when he converted a cross from Stephen Beattie.

The home crowd were stunned when substitute Kevin Devaney made it 2-2 with 15 minutes to go, heading home at the second attempt from close range after City keeper Mark McNulty had blocked his first attempt from a Russell corner.

Devaney had another chance to put Sligo in front, but this time was denied by McNulty, and it proved to be an important save when O’Sullivan's low shot two minutes from time clinched the points.

Bohemians maintained their good start to the season, with a late winner from veteran striker Jason Byrne earning the points in a 2-1 win over Limerick at Dalymount Park.

Derek Prendergast's header from a Lorcan Fitzgerald free kick put the home side into the lead, but bottom of the table Limerick were back on level terms seven minutes into the second half, when Dean Clarke tapped in from close range.

But with five minutes to go, 37 year old Byrne was the match winner when he picked up a loose ball in the box and rifled a shot past the keeper.

Defensive lapses cost Derry City dearly, as their poor form continued against Galway United at the Brandywell.

The visitors went ahead in the 23rd minute when Derry goalkeeper Ger Doherty palmed a corner kick straight to teenager Padraic Cunningham, who volleyed the loose ball into the roof of the net.

Four minutes later, it got even worse for Derry when Galway's Jake Keegan rose unchallenged to head home a Ryan Connolly free kick, to give his side a 2-0 lead that they held until the final whistle.

Drogheda United ended their winless run of 10 games with a 4-2 home victory over Bray Wanderers.

Bray had taken an early lead through Chris Lyons, but three goals in 12 second half minutes from Sean Brennan, Mick Daly, and Daryl Kavanagh put the home side in control.

Peter McGlynn pulled one back for Bray, but Drogheda wrapped up the points when Tiarnan Mulvenna tapped in from close range right on the final whistle.

In the First Division, Finn Harps maintained their three point lead at the top of the table, but were made to work hard for a 3-2 win over bottom club Waterford United at Finn Park.

Harps were 2-0 up inside six minutes. but in the end had to rely on a late winner from Ruairi Keating to claim the points.

Wexford Youths remain in second place. with a goal from central defender Gary Delaney earning them a 1-0 win over Cobh Ramblers, and Athlone Town and UCD are six points behind Youths in joint third place after their 1-1 draw at at Lissywollen.

Ryan Swan gave UCD an early lead, but four minutes from time Athlone striker Philly Gorman salvaged a point for the home side with a header.

After the game Athlone manager Eddie Wallace tendered his resignation, citing personal and family commitments for his decision.

Shelbourne managed their first win in seven games, Adam O'Connor's first half goal easing them through to victory in the Dublin derby against Cabinteely.


Premier Division - Bohemians 2 Limerick 1; Cork City 3 Sligo Rovers 2; Derry City 0 Galway United 2; Drogheda United 4 Bray Wanderers 2; Longford Town 0 Dundalk 2.

First Division - Athlone Town 1 UCD 1; Finn Harps 3 Waterford United 2; Shelbourne 1 Cabinteely 0; Wexford Youths 1 Cobh Ramblers 0.