Everton head coach Sean Dyche has confirmed to members of the media today that Seamus Coleman is in his plans for next season.
Coleman suffered a knee injury in Everton’s 2-2 draw with Leicester City and has been ruled out for the rest of the season.
The news not only comes as a blow for Everton, who are fighting relegation, but Stephen Kenny's Ireland will also miss the Donegal native's experience when they resume their Euro qualification campaign this summer.
Ireland will be without their captain for the Euro 2024 qualifiers in Greece on June 16 and at home to Gibraltar on Monday, June 19.
🎙️ Sean Dyche on Seamus Coleman: “Seamus did have an operation and it has gone well. All being well he should be fit for next season. I will be speaking to him ongoing. He is well in the loop where he sits at this football club." #EFC pic.twitter.com/WKlFCDo70v
— TheMightyBlues (@MightyBluesYT) May 12, 2023
On the club side, there had been doubts that the 34-year-old would never play for Everton again because of his age and serious ACL injury, but Dyche, in his pre-match press conference, said: "He did have an operation. It is straightforward in terms of the view from the medical side and the way they have treated it," said Dyche on Friday.
"Apparently it has gone really well so hopefully it will be a straightforward recovery. All being well, he should be fit for next season."
Coleman is one of Everton's players who is nearing the end of the current contract and can leave the club for free this summer.
However, Dyche also added: "I have spoken to the ones that needed a chat about things. He [Coleman] is well in the loop of where he sits at this football club."
Everton play Manchester City on Sunday in their latest bid to avoid relegation. That game kicks off at 14:00.