A PREMIER LEAGUE footballer has been arrested on suspicion of child sex offences.
The player, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is understood to be married and has since been suspended by his club, Everton.
He was held by police last Friday before being released on bail.
It's understood that officers raided the star's home earlier this month and "seized several items".
In a statement, Everton Football Club said confirmed the suspension of one of their players and stressed they would "support the authorities" during the investigation process.
"Everton can confirm it has suspended a player pending a police investigation," the statement read.
"The Club will continue to support the authorities with their inquiries and will not be making any further statement at this time."
The alleged offences have been described as "very serious" by the Greater Manchester Police Force, who made the arrest.
In a statement, the force said: "Officers arrested a man on Friday 16 July 2021 on suspicion of child sex offences.
"He is on police bail pending further enquiries."
Everton are due to fly out to the US for their pre-season training camp on July 26 where the squad will sync up with new boss Rafa Benitez, who replaced Real Madrid-bound Carlo Ancelotti.
Benitez' appointment sparked outrage among sections of the Everton fan-base due to his history with arch rivals Liverpool.
The Spaniard called Everton a "small club" during his time at Anfield, but recently insisted that all that animosity was in the past now.
"I am delighted to be joining Everton," the 61-year-old said during his first press conference.
"Throughout this process I have been greatly impressed by the ambition shown by the senior representatives at the Club and their desire to bring success to this historic Club.
"I believe this is a Club that is going places. I’m determined to play a big part in helping this great Club achieve its ambitions."