IRISHMAN Andy Lee has been named in the top 10 pound-for-pound punchers in world boxing by American broadcasters HBO.
One of the leading presenters of boxing in American television, HBO have included WBO middleweight champion Lee in a list packed with elite fighters.
Eric Raskin, presenter of the HBO Boxing Podcast, and his colleague Kieran Mulvaney both had kinds words to say on the Limerick native, who defends his belt at Thomond Park against Billy Joe Saunders on September 19.
Raskin said: “For pure one-shot power, Andy Lee earns a spot on this list. His punch is so big it makes up for many of his shortcomings and has bailed him out quite a few times.”
Mulvaney added: “I love Andy Lee. . . outside of the ring, the way he conducts himself – he’s very unassuming, he’s very humble. This is a professional prizefighter with an unbelievable southpaw right-hook.”
Have a listen to the podcast in full, with Lee ranked 10 on the list, which counts down to number one – devastating Flyweight puncher Román González.
HBO’s top 10 pound-for-pound punchers
10. Andy Lee (Middleweight, Ireland)
9. Takashi Uchiyama (Super Featherweight Japan)
8. Artur Beterbiyev (Light Heavyweight, Russia)
7. Marcos Maidana (Welterweight, Argentina)
6. Adonis Stevenson (Light Heavyweight, Canada)
5. David Lemieux (Middleweight, Canada)
4. Wladimir Klitschko (Heavyweight, Ukraine)
3. Sergey Kovalev (Light Heavyweight, Russia)
2. Gennady Golovkin (Middleweight, Kazakhstan)
1. Román González (Flyweight, Nicaragua)