WHILE the British Government has been roundly condemned for a planned amnesty on prosecutions for Troubles-era crimes, the father of a boy killed by an IRA bomb has called for support for the move.
The announcement by Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, Brandon Lewis on July 14 that the government will introduce a statute of limitations preventing prosecutions for crimes which took place prior to the Good Friday Agreement of 1998 has been branded by many as an “insult to all victims” of Troubles atrocities.
However Colin Parry, the father of one of two boys killed by an IRA bomb in Warrington in 1993, has told The Irish Post that the move may be just what is needed to truly heal from the Troubles.
On March 20, 1993, the IRA exploded two bombs without warning in a shopping street in Warrington.
The explosions killed three-year-old Jonathan Ball at the scene and injured 55 others, including Colin’s son, Tim, who was just 12 years old.
Tim sustained extensive head injuries and eventually lost his life five days later.
No-one has ever been brought to justice for the attack.
Since then, Colin and his wife Wendy have embarked on a path to peace, eventually setting up the Tim Parry Johnathan Ball Peace Foundation, a charity which works to promote peace and non-violent conflict resolution.
Following Mr Lewis’ statement Mr Parry told The Irish Post: “Wendy and I have long ago given up any possibility of arrests and charges being brought against the individuals who placed the bombs in Warrington.
“We were also opposed to former soldiers being charged and tried for alleged wrongdoings.”
He added: “As victims we have always trodden the path to reconciliation and through this, to a sustainable peace.
“If the Troubles are ever to reach a resolution, all parties have to commit to the peace process and this comes with personal sacrifices such as supporting this ‘amnesty’ for the greater good.”