KERRYGOLD IS a brand synonymous with Ireland.
Ask Irish expats what they miss most about home and the chances are Kerrygold butter or cheese will feature at some point.
All of which makes this Kerrygold recipe for cheddar, bacon and green onion waffles a must-read for anyone feeling homesick for the old country.
Perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner, it’s time to fire up the waffle iron, preheat the oven to 200 degrees and prepare some baking sheets.
Here’s everything you need to know.
What you'll need:
- 6 strips of bacon
- 3 tbs brown sugar (light brown is best)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 6 bs (melt and let cool) Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 6 strips crisply cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 1/4 cups grated cheddar
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced
How to make it:
1. Cook the bacon until crisp; drain and set aside.
2. Mix the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pepper well in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre of the combined ingredients, set aside.
3. Whisk eggs in a small bowl, pour into centre of dry ingredients.
4. Add butter and buttermilk, and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined; this mixture will be lumpy. If too stiff, add a bit of buttermilk.
5. Gently fold in bacon, cheese and onions.
6. Coat waffle iron well with melted butter or cooking spray.
7. Proceed making waffles, keeping finished waffles warm and crisp in oven on the baking sheet.
8. Serve with warmed maple syrup, or maple-mustard sauce.