A WILLOW rattle, handwoven by an Irishman, is among the official gifts being presented to Britain’s Princess Charlotte of Cambridge on her first birthday.
The young royal, daughter of Their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, turns one today.
To mark the landmark birthday, Kensington Palace has released a list of some of the gifts Princess Charlotte has been sent over her first year – and included is the simple rattle made by Galway basketmaker Ciarán Hogan.
Mr Hogan presented the gift to Charlotte’s grandfather Prince Charles, on his visit to the west of Ireland almost a year ago.
The handmade present is one of the simpler gifts included on the list, with an 18 carat white gold rattle complete with diamonds, rubies and sapphires valued at £30,000 one of the more lavish ones.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William and Kate, received gifts from several of the Commonwealth countries for their daughter too.
New Zealand’s Prime Minister John Key sent teddy bears, baby blankets and booties; while Stephen Harper, former Canadian Prime Minister sent a snowsuit, books and made a charitable donation of £54,000 in Princess Charlotte’s name.
See some of the Princess’ gifts here
- Silver rattle – President Enrique Peña Nieto of Mexico
- White gold rattle with diamonds, rubies and sapphires – The Natural Sapphire Company
- Willow hand-woven rattle – Ciaran Hogan, basketmaker
- Set of silk figurines depicting Dream of the Red Chamber – President Xi Jinping of China
- Jigsaw, cuddly toy “Bo” dog, rocking chair, baby blanket – President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama
- Hans Christian Andersen’s fairy tales – David Cameron
- Snowsuit, book, and £54,000 charity donation – Stephen Harper, former Canadian prime minister
- Snowsuit – Wellington Rugby, New Zealand
- Sleepsuit – New Zealand Rugby
- Teddy bears, baby blankets, bootees made from Stansborough wool – Prime Minister John Key of New Zealand
- Pink dress embroidered with “From Israel With Love” – President Reuven Rivlin of Israel
- Merino wool cot blanket and £5,200 donation to mountain pygmy-possum sanctuary – Government of Australia
- Bhutanese coat – King and Queen of Bhutan
- Set of biodegradable nappies – Pippa Middleton