Tributes paid to young lifeguard who died in tragic cliff fall while camping in Cork

Tributes paid to young lifeguard who died in tragic cliff fall while camping in Cork

TRIBUTES HAVE been paid to a young man who tragically lost his life in a cliff fall accident over the weekend.

The news of the tragedy broke in the early hours of Sunday morning, with reports of two young people who required medical assistance after getting into difficulty near Garretstown beach in County Cork.

22 year old Conor King, a trained lifeguard from Douglas in County Cork, suffered fatal head injuries on Saturday night when he slipped and fell down a 20m blow-hole while camping with friends.

His body was eventually recovered from the water by divers before being transported to Cork University Hospital. 

Tributes have been pouring in for the young lifeguard, who was a third-year engineering student at Munster Technological University (MTU) and was just days away from his 23rd birthday.

Conor King died instantly when he stumbled and fell down a 20m blow hole on the cliffs where he and friends were camping

An old schoolteacher of Mr King extended her "heartfelt condolences" to his friends and family, writing: "As a parent, I convey my deepest sympathies to Conor’s parents. Every parent dreads to think of the danger their adult children could be exposed to and hopes never to be the recipient of that life- shattering call.

"May they be comforted in their grief at this time."

The head of MTU Student Affairs, Dr Dan Collins, released a statement offering his thoughts, prayers and sympathy to Mr King's friends, classmates and family, writing: "

Our thoughts are with Conor’s family to whom we offer our deepest sympathy, and with his friends, as well as his classmates at MTU and colleagues in the Department and at the Faculty.

"We will continue to keep Conor’s family in our thoughts as well as the other young man currently recovering."

A friend of Mr King's had attempted to save him but became trapped and required rescue from divers, The Irish Examiner reports.

The unnamed 23-year-old, believed to be a young man from Glanmire, is recovering in hospital after treatment for suspected hypothermia.

A team of volunteers from the Old Head/Seven Heads Coast Guard Unit attended the scene after the alarm was first raised at around 11:30pm on Saturday night. 

Local divers, gardaí and ambulance personnel also provided assistance with the operation overseen by the Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre at Valentia in Co Kerry. 

Garda spokesperson said: “Gardaí attended the scene of an incident in Kinsale, Co. Cork yesterday evening, Saturday, April 24, 2021. 

“Local Fire Services and the Coast Guard also attended the scene. A male, aged in his 20s, was recovered from the water by rescue divers at Garrettstown. 

“He was pronounced dead at the scene and the Coroner was notified. His body was removed to Cork University Hospital where a post mortem is due to take place."

Investigations into Mr King's tragic death are ongoing.