TWO FURTHER arrests have been made in the investigation into the assault of Yorkshire pensioner Tommy Ward, as the 80-year-old continues to recover in hospital.
A man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and aggravated burglary, while a teenager has been arrested on suspicion of handling stolen goods.
Neither have been named by South Yorkshire Police but are both from the Rotherham area, about seven miles from the village of Maltby where Mr Ward lives.
The arrests were made yesterday – some three months on from the vicious assault at his home of 31 years that left Mr Ward with a broken jaw, a fractured skull, broken ribs and an amputated finger that left Mr Ward with a broken jaw, a fractured skull, broken ribs and an amputated finger.
The attack left Mr Ward with a broken jaw, fractured skull and broken ribs. He also needed to have one of his fingers amputated, a family member told The Irish Post.
Aside from the horrific injuries inflicted on Mr Ward on October 1, a safety deposit box containing his life savings of £30,000 has been missing from his home since the attack.
Three months having passed since the assault and Mr Ward remains in hospital.
His granddaughter, Amy Perry, told The Irish Post: “He is still in hospital. He has his up days and his bad days.”
Mr Ward remains in a comfortable state – but still takes painkillers to manage his injuries.
As of yet, there is no sign of Mr Ward being well enough to come home but his daughter Jackie Perry believes he will never return to his own home.
He will never go back to that house now. He can’t. He will need 24-hour care and we all work so he will have to go to a care home which is what he didn’t want.
A regular visitor to Ireland, the second generation Irishman was known in his local pub, The Manor, for his Ireland hats and t-shirts.
His family read The Irish Post to him as he slept in the hospital and played music from one of his favourite bands, The Dubliners, in the hope that it would help him recover quickly.
More than three months on, there is no sign of Mr Ward being released from hospital.
“I’m hoping the new arrests are the low life people who carried out this evil attack,” family friend Glyn Somers-Lynam told The Irish Post.
Detective Inspector Richard Partridge from the Force Crime Unit at South Yorkshire Police said: “This remains an incredibly active investigation and our officers continue to piece together what happened to Mr Ward in October last year.
"I’d like to issue a further appeal for information following the arrest of these two people, to encourage anyone living locally who hasn’t yet come forward to speak to police."
Mr Ward’s friends in Maltby continue to rally around his family as he recovers.
Two 19-year-old men were arrested in October in connection with the assault but were later released on bail.