THE United States has offered to pay compensation to relatives of 10 people who were mistakenly killed in a drone strike during the American withdrawal from Afghanistan earlier this year.
An aid worker and nine members of his family, including seven children, were killed in the strike.
The Pentagon said it will assist the surviving members of the family in relocating to the US.
The strike occurred several days before the US military withdrew from Afghanistan, ending its 20 year presence in the country.
Despite spending between $1-2 trillion on its occupation over that time, including extensive investments in the Afghan army, the country and its newly kitted out military collapsed into civil war, swiftly followed by full Taliban control, as the US withdrew its troops.
This prompted an ill thought through and frantic evacuation, as the Taliban gained ground and Western allies still in the country lost hope, what freedoms they had enjoyed under the liberal conditions created by the occupation, and in many instances, their lives.
On 29 August, US intelligence tracked aid worker's car for eight hours, believing it was linked to ISIS militants operating within the county, US Central Command's Gen Kenneth McKenzie said last month.
The car had been sighted at a compound associated ISIS, and its movements corresponded with further intelligence about the Islamist terror group's plan to attack on Kabul airport.
A surveillance drone even captured footage of the vehicle being loaded with what appeared to be explosives – though later found to be water containers.
As a result of the inaccurate intelligence, when aid worker, Zamairi Ahmadi, pulled into the driveway of his home, near to the airport, his car was hit by a drone strike.
In the meeting on Thursday, "Dr. Kahl noted that the strike was a tragic mistake and that Mr. Ezmarai Ahmadi and others who were killed were innocent victims who bore no blame and were not affiliated with ISIS-K or threats to US forces," said a statement by Defense Department spokesman John Kirby.
"Dr. Kahl reiterated Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin's commitment to the families, including offering ex gratia condolence payments," he added.