Warning to pet owners after dog dies from poisoning at popular walking spot
News

Warning to pet owners after dog dies from poisoning at popular walking spot

DOG OWNERS in the Murroe area have been warned to keep a vigilant eye on their pets after a dog died from ingesting poison while out walking with its owner.

A community page for the Murroe area in County Limerick confirmed that a dog had been poisoned and subsequently died while in Glenstal Woods, a popular walking trail that leads from Limerick to Tipperary and which offers views of the Slieve Felim Mountains.

Being such a popular spot for humans and dogs alike, the Murroe page warned people to "keep your dog on a leash at all times and be aware if your dog is eating anything".

There is no information available regarding the type of poison the dog ingested, but it is believed it may have been set intentionally.

Advertisement

It is, unfortunately, not an isolated incident.

In September 2019, at least five family pets were killed in Galway after scraps of meat laced with poison were left on the roadside in a populated area.

In June of the same year, several dogs fell ill and one died after an apparent intentional poisoning in Dublin's Deer Park, Mount Merrion.

To combat the worrying trend, Dog's Trust Ireland have released a list of plants, garden and household substances which can potentially be fatal if ingested by a dog-- you can read that here.