JOHN Joe Nevin will return to the ring for his second pro fight before Christmas, following a brutal assault that left him with broken legs last month.
Coach Brian McKeown confirmed the plan as the London 2012 silver medallist made his initial return to boxing at the Cavan boxing club on Monday.
The Westmeath boxer was attacked in early April in Mullingar, dealing him a huge blow just as he began his professional career a month earlier with a convincing win over Puerto Rica’s Alberto Candelaria in Boston on St Patrick’s Day.
Nevin turned pro with GreenBlood of Philadelphia and Berkeley Sports & Media of the UK last year.
He has been out of competitive action since the assault, but McKeown, is confident Nevin will be back fighting again in 2014.
"The mobility is limited at this stage, so we're working on upper-body strength, flexibility and reflexes," said McKeown.
"We hoping that in 10 or 12 days he gets the all-clear and is off the sticks (crutches). I would be confident that he'll be back boxing before the end of the year.
"I'd be delighted to get him away from the environment he's in.
"Billy Walsh (Irish head coach) will tell you that when John goes into training camp he blooms. I would want him coming back gradually.
"He needs the fights and there's no time to waste. Realistically, I'm looking for a fight for November or December. I would love if that fight was in Ireland.
"But it will probably be in the USA. Next year we'll be looking to step up to eight-rounders. John did very well over six rounds on his debut against the Puerto Rican lad."
In the aftermath of the incident that restricted him to a wheelchair for several weeks, Nevin remained determined to get his career back on track.
He said: “I’m shocked, but this won’t stop me getting back in the ring.”