All-Ireland champions Limerick have had seven players included in the PwC Hurling All-Star Team of the Year. Limerick beat Kilkenny in this year's final for the second year in a row and, in doing so, won their first four-in-a-row in the sport.
Limerick's Dan Morrissey, Diarmaid Byrnes, Kyle Hayes, Darragh O'Donovan, Will O'Donoghue, Tom Morrissey, and Aaron Gillane have all been included. Kilkenny has five players included too. Eoin Murphy, Mikey Butler, TJ Reid, Eoin Cody, and Huw Lawlor also got the nod. Kilkenny's Reid's inclusion now means that he has won a record seventh All-Star.
Clare's John Conlon and Shane O'Donnell, and Conor Whelan of Galway rounded out the XV.
Also, the PwC GAA/GPA Hurler of the Year nominees are the Limerick trio of Kyle Hayes, Aaron Gillane, and Diarmaid Byrnes. Adam Hogan (Clare), Mark Rodgers (Clare), Ciaran Joyce (Cork) are nominated in the Young Hurler of the Year category too.
— The GAA (@officialgaa) November 16, 2023
The All-Star ceremony will take place on Friday at the RDS in Dublin, where the football team of the year will be announced.
Uachtarán CLG Larry McCarthy said, 'I am delighted to congratulate the distinguished final 15 who have been selected for a PwC Hurling All-Star for 2023. The high-calibre list of nominations reflected what was yet another thrilling hurling season, and this team represents the cream of that considerable crop.
'To join the illustrious ranks of the heroes who have been honoured with an All-Star since 1971 is a wonderful achievement and something that I am sure will be shared by your families and clubs. I want to thank our partners in PwC for their continuing support of this prestigious scheme and look forward to a great night in the RDS for the presentation banquet that will celebrate a fantastic GAA season.'"
PwC Hurling All-Stars 2023
(Previous winning years in brackets)
- Eoin Murphy (Kilkenny) (2016, 2018, 2021)
- Mikey Butler (Kilkenny) (2022)
- Huw Lawlor (Kilkenny) (2022)
- Dan Morrissey (Limerick) (2018, 2020)
- Diarmaid Byrnes (Limerick) (2020, 2021, 2022)
- John Conlon (Clare) (2018)
- Kyle Hayes (Limerick) (2020, 2021, 2022)
- Darragh O’Donovan (Limerick) (2021)
- Will O’Donoghue (Limerick) (2021)
- Shane O’Donnell (Clare) (2022)
- TJ Reid (Kilkenny) (2012, 2014, 2015, 2019, 2020, 2022)
- Tom Morrissey (Limerick) (2020, 2021)
- Conor Whelan (Galway) (2017)
- Aaron Gillane (Limerick) (2019, 2020, 2022)
- Eoin Cody (Kilkenny)
PwC GAA/GPA Hurler of the Year Nominees
Kyle Hayes, Aaron Gillane, Diarmaid Byrnes (all Limerick)
PwC GAA/GPA Young Hurler of the Year Nominees
Adam Hogan (Clare), Mark Rodgers (Clare), Ciaran Joyce (Cork