Terenure Rangers claim victory in the FAI Women's Amateur Cup

Terenure Rangers claim victory in the FAI Women's Amateur Cup

Terenure Rangers FC defeated Bonagee United FC to claim victory in the FAI Women's Amateur Cup Final thanks to a hat-trick from Ruth Comerford, and goals from Leann Payne & Sarah Ryan.

In a closely contested match for a significant part of the game and in which Bronagh Gallagher converted a penalty kick for Bonagee in the first half, the Dublin team defeated the Donegal team by a 6-1 scoreline.

Terenue's first chance came when Sarah Ryan, who was advancing after a cross from the right but she failed to convert it. After Siobhan Sweeney's shot earned Bonagee a corner, they had their first opportunity to score, but Ciara Smith made a crucial block.

Terenure scored the opening goal after Leanne Payne brilliantly delivered the ball to Ruth Comerford, who turned excellently to elude her defender and hit a low shot that evaded Flether's outstretched glove and struck the post on its way to the net.

Leann Payne almost added a second as her deep cross looked goalbound only for the post to deny her with Jenny Claffey unable to follow up the rebound. Eva Harvey bodychecked Niamh Carroll in the area, resulting in a penalty kick for Terenure with Comerford converting to score her second goal.

Almost immediately, Bonagee nearly responded with a speculative effort from McFadden that looped over Geraghty and went just past the wrong side of the post. When Bronagh Gallagher broke into the area and Smith clashed with her in a challenge, Bonagee were then given a penalty of their own.

Despite Geraghty getting a hand on the ball, Gallagher took the opportunity to score to cut the lead to one. Leanne Payne received a pass from Paula Doran and curled a shot that was out of Fletcher's reach, giving Terenure a two-goal advantage once more.

Sarah Ryan nearly added a fourth goal after her initial curling attempt hit the post. However, she was to get another chance to score after the Bonagee defence failed to clear the ball, which allowed the ball to fall to Ryan's feet on the edge of the area.

Ryan made no mistake in striking the ball into the top corner of the net. Leanne Payne connected with a cross into the Bonagee area for the first shot of the second half, but Fletcher bravely moved in front of the winger.

Fletcher's low effort from the right wing forced a deft stop from Geraghty as Bonagee continued to press. When Sarah Ryan met Geraghty's long kick out she took a deft touch before slipping the ball under advancing Fletcher where Rangers were to score their fifth goal of the final.

When a long ball from Niamh Geraghty fell at Ruth Comerford's feet, she took a shot from close range to the roof of the net to complete her hat trick. Ryan's corner was met by Payne, who nearly scored a seventh goal for the Dublin side, but Fletcher made an outstanding save.

After Ciara Smith's well-placed free kick caused the Bonagee custodian to push the ball around her near post for a corner as she was called upon to make another save.

Chelsea Rigney, a Terenure substitute, latched onto a clever pass, and her attempt from the edge of the area barely missed the top of the crossbar. Comerford came close to scoring a fourth goal as her backheel from a cross-field pass flashed across the goal face.

Although Bonagee fought to the end, Terenure emerged victorious and returned to Dublin with the trophy.

Bonagee United FC: Fletcher (GK), Harvey, Shortt (C.Fletcher 53), E. Sweeney, Grier, S. Sweeney, Brogan, McFadden, Heron (McCloy 81), Gallagher, Callaghan (Kerrigan 64)
Subs not used: Hume, Thompson, Bogan-Alison, Hopkins.

Terenure Rangers FC: Geraghty (GK), Haughton, Dicker, Hunt (Gleeson 80), Smith, Carroll (Pedley 69), Payne (Rigley 76), Doran (Dowling 76), Ryan, Comerford, Claffey (Turner 69).
Subs not used: Cusak, Moore.

Referee: Eddie Darcy