Tir Chonaill Gaels stage dramatic revival

Tir Chonaill Gaels stage dramatic revival

Tir Chonaill Gaels 3-12
St Kiernans 2-13

Tir Chonaill Gaels proved it is often a marathon not a sprint when it comes to winning games in the Danny Sullivan London SFC.

With each team having impressed in their opening round victories, confidence was high within both camps.

It was St Kiernans who came out of the traps first, intent on laying down a marker as Adrian Moyles scored their first goal early. Four points quickly followed although Tir Chonaill Gaels managed to register two points of their own.

After a blistering start the game began to settle. It wasn't long before Tir Chonaill Gaels found the back of the net themselves, Brian Duddy with the decisive touch.

With one point in it, St Kiernans kicked on again with Liam McKenna scoring a fine point after fantastic midfield work from Cathal Og Greene.

With half time fast approaching there was still time for St Kiernans to increase their lead as Mark Mulholland rifled an unstoppable shot past John McGrath to register his side's second goal of the game.

At half time, St Kiernans found themselves with an advantage of 2-6 to 1-4.

Tir Chonaill Gaels came out in the second half with the intention of cutting the deficit as quickly as possible and that's exactly what Barney Breen's men began to do, Liam Gavigan and Ashley Carr  causing St Kiernans back line problems.

As the game became stretched with both teams trading scores, the decisive period came with 10 minutes remaining. After winning the breaking ball in midfield, the ball found itself in the hands of Tir Chonaill Gaels Marty McCoy.

The half back was in plenty of space and had time to find Carr on the edge of the square. With only the keeper to beat, the outcome was never in doubt. Again the play switched to the other end, with Cathal Og Greene scoring a tremendous point for St Kiernans using the outside of his right boot.

From the resulting kick out, the ball was worked to TCG substitute Justin McAteer. Searching for Cathal Magee in the full forward position, he appeared to over hit his high pass. Under little pressure, the ball squirmed over the line. It proved to be the difference between the sides.

Scorers for Tir Chonaill Gaels: L Gavigan 0-5, A Carr 1-2 (2 fs), B Duddy 1-0, J McAteer 1-0, C Magee 0-2, A Askin 0-1, A Bradley 0-1, B Ross 0-1

Scorers for St Kiernans: A Moyles 1-5 (3 fs), M Mulholland 1-2, C Og Greene 0-3, L McKenna 0-2, J Moron 0-1

Tir Chonaill Gaels: J McGrath; N Travers, P Butler, B McAtarney; B Collins, E McConnell, M McCoy; G Kane, A McDermott; L Gavigan, A Askin, T Gribben; A Carr, C Magee, B Duddy. Subs: E O'Neill for Duddy (40 mins), B Ross for McConville (52 mins), J McAteer for Askin (52 mins)

St Kiernans: B Mulrooney: L O'Donoghue, I McGough, M O'Connor; D Digney, J Gallagher, P Begley; C Og Greene, J Moron; L McKenna, S Brady, M O'Donoghue; A Moyles, P Finn, M Mulholland.  Subs: L Gallagher for Brady (55mins)

Referee: D Flanagan