Top two earn narrow victories

Top two earn narrow victories

DUNDALK and Cork City continue to set the pace at the top of the SSE Airtricity League, although both had to settle for single goal wins in the latest round of games at the weekend.

Leaders Dundalk left it late to edge past Derry City at Oriel Park, with substitute John Mountney scoring the only goal of the game three minutes from time - his strike deflecting off Shane McEleney to beat young Derry 'keeper Shaun Patton.

It was a harsh result for the Candystripes, who appeared to be denied a penalty midway through the second half when Cillian Morrison seemed to be fouled by Paddy Barrett in the box, and had a Ryan Curran effort hit the post right at the death.

But the victory kept Dundalk four points ahead of Cork City, whose 1-0 win at bottom of the table Limerick was more comfortable than the scoreline suggests

The winning goal arrived midway through the first half, when Karl Sheppard headed in at the back post from a Billy Dennehy cross.

The game was the last that Limerick will play at Jackman Park, and they will return to their spiritual home of the Markets Field for their next home game against Drogheda United on Friday June 5.

Shamrock Rovers maintained their third place position, with two goals from Maxime Blanchard helping them to a hard fought 3-2 victory over Longford Town at Tallaght Stadium.

Gavin Brennan tapped in an early opener for Hoops, but Longford equalised on 33 minutes when Pat Flynn's looping header from Mark Salmon’s corner crept into the net.

But after the break Blanchard restored Rovers’ lead with a volley, and then added his second when he headed home from a Keith Fahey corner.  Kaleem Simon reduced the deficit late on, but the Hoops hung on to claim the points.

Trevor Croly made a winning start to his managerial reign at Bray Wanderers, with his side's 1-0 win over St Patrick's Athletic ending the visitors' nine-game unbeaten run, while recording Bray's first win in six.

The decisive goal arrived 16 minutes from time, when Peter McGlynn’s left wing cross took a wicked deflection and looped over the head of stranded Saints goalkeeper Brendan Clarke.

The game of the weekend was at Eamonn Deacy Park, where Galway United eventually ended 5-3 winners over Bohemians in an end-to-end encounter.

It was Bohs' first away defeat of the season, and although they were never ahead, it took a late Enda Enda Curran penalty to finally wrap up the points for Galway.

A double from Dinny Corcoran ensured Sligo Rovers picked up a much needed win over Drogheda United at the Showgrounds.

It was only the second league win of the season for the Bit O' Red, with Corcoran opening the scoring on three minutes from David Cawley's pass, and adding a second just before the break when he headed home a superb cross from Danny Ledwith.

In the First Division, Finn Harps maintained their unbeaten start to the season and moved six points clear at the top, although it took a late winner from Raymond Foy to secure a 3-2 away win at Cobh Ramblers.

UCD moved to within three points of second-placed Wexford Youths in the table after a comfortable 4-1 victory over Youths at the UCD Bowl, stretching their unbeaten run to seven games.

Shelbourne recorded their second successive win against Athlone Town at Lissywollen, with Mark Sandford on target twice for Shels in their 3-2 triumph.  After the game Town announced the appointment of former Shels and Bray Wanderers manager Alan Matthews, in succession to Eddie Wallace.

There was a new but familiar face in the dugout at the RSC, where Waterford United's new manager Roddy Collins watched his charges make a winning start under his control.

Two goals from Willie John Kiely helped the Blues to their first win in nine games and a 3-1 win over Cabinteely, a result that meant that Waterford leapfrogged the Dubliners at the foot of the First Division table.