RELATIVES of victims of the Ballymurphy Massacre in the North of Ireland have said that the British Government is more interested in fox hunting than in justice for those who died.
They made the claim as the Irish Government prepare to debate on calls for a public inquiry into the deaths.
Eleven civilians died in the Ballymurphy Massacre, between August 9 and 11, 1971. Ten were shot by British soldiers who were in the North to arrest and imprison anyone who was suspected of being a member of the Provisional IRA – with one further civilian passing away from a heart attack after an alleged confrontation with British soldiers.
Now, a group of relatives who have been campaigning extensively for justice for their loved ones say that the British Government is more interested in fox hunting than uncovering the truth.
“We would like the support of all political parties to help us put pressure on the British Government to give us an independent inquiry based on the recent Hillsborough Inquiry so that we can unearth the terrible injustices of the events in 1971,” said John Teggart, whose father was killed in the Ballymurphy Massacre.
“The British Government made up of millionaires is more interested in bringing back fox hunting than they are at bringing justice and truth to our families.”
The Dáil is expected to debate the possibility of a public inquiry on Wednesday, following Enda Kenny’s meeting with the families of the victims in Belfast earlier this year.
“I welcome this move by the Irish Government and hope that the motion will be supported by all political parties in the Dáil,” Mr Teggart added.
While the British Government apologised for the Bloody Sunday killings after a lengthy probe in 2010, calls for a similar inquiry into the Ballymurphy Massacre have been rejected.
The campaigners hope that if the Irish Government vote in favour of an inquiry, it will prompt a response by the government in Britain.