Man in 20's dies in house fire in Northern Ireland
News

Man in 20's dies in house fire in Northern Ireland

A MAN in his 20's has died following a house fire in Co. Tyrone.

The incident happened on Queens Avenue in Cookstown in the early hours of this morning.

At around 2.30pm, a fire broke out at a house on the street.

Police received a report of the fire after a carbon monoxide alarm went off at the property.

The Northern Ireland Fire Service arrived at the scene shortly after.

Advertisement

An adult and two children were out of that flat on arrival, but while there a firefighter spotted blacked windows on the next flat.

They rescued a 28-year-old man immediately from the living room of the flat but he died at the scene.

A fire in the kitchen of the flat was found to have burnt itself out.

PSNI Inspector Gavin Sterling said that an investigation is underway, but the fire is not believed to be suspicious.

A NIFRS spokesperson said:

"The thoughts and sympathies of Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service are with the family and friends of the 28 year old man who tragically died following a flat fire in Queens Avenue, Cookstown, in the early hours of this morning.

"We received a call to Queens Avenue at 2.31am initially to a report of a carbon monoxide alarm sounding in a flat. While in attendance at this incident Firefighters noticed blackened windows in a neighbouring first floor flat.

Advertisement

"Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus immediately entered that property and rescued a man from the living room of the flat. Sadly he died at the scene. A fire in the kitchen of the property had burnt itself out.

"This tragic incident, which has occurred during Fire Safety Week 2018, emphasises the importance of following our basic fire safety advice, including having working smoke alarms and the need to test them once a week.”