Piers Morgan launches scathing attack on Prince Harry and Meghan Markle as couple 'quit Royal Family'
News

Piers Morgan launches scathing attack on Prince Harry and Meghan Markle as couple 'quit Royal Family'

PIERS MORGAN has lashed out at Prince Harry and Meghan Markle after news broke that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex would be stepping away from royal life.

The pair revealed via a statement on Wednesday evening that they intended to "step back as senior members of the Royal Family" and would be looking to split their time between the UK and North America.

Following the announcement, Morgan sent out a series of scathing tweets, lambasting the couple for betraying their family and letting down her Majesty The Queen - who apparently wasn't consulted about their plans until the announcement was made, an act Morgan described as "disgraceful".

Advertisement

The Good Morning Britain presenter was particularly critical of Markle, laying into her by saying "she ditched her family, ditched her Dad, ditched most of her old friends, split Harry from William & has now split him from the Royal Family".

He added that Princess Diana "would be furious that Harry had been so manipulated".

Morgan also posted a GIF from Harry and Meghan's wedding, writing: "What Meghan wants, she gets."

There were plenty who criticised Morgan's tweets, including former England cricketer Kevin Pietersen, who told the 54-year-old to leave the couple alone.

"No," replied Morgan, "She's breaking up our royal family after fleecing the public purse.

"As a taxpayer, and a Monarchist, I'm entitled to take a rather dim view of this."

Buckingham Palace later released a statement saying they had opened discussion with Harry and Meghan, admitting that the situation was 'complicated'.

Advertisement

Morgan wrote in response: "Bucking Palace says 'it's complicated'. Translation: the Queen's bloody furious."

He added in a column for the Daily Mail on Thursday morning that the Queen should fire the couple from their royal duties altogether.

Below is Harry and Meghan's statement in full:

"After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution.

"We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen.

Advertisement

"It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment.

"We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages.

"This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity.

"We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support."