Waterford boss Marc Bircham became aware of his sacking by Twitter

Waterford boss Marc Bircham became aware of his sacking by Twitter

MARC BIRCHAM, the Waterford FC manager has said that he learnt about his exsploive sacking on social media this morning. This comes just three days before Waterford play in the club's promotion/relegation play-off clash with UCD.

Waterford play UCD at Richmond Park on Friday for a place in the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division, but the untimely sacking has thrown the preparation for the fixture into tatters.

Bircham took to Twitter to explain that he had been handed a week-long suspension after a text exchange with the club's owner Richard Forrest, last night.

Waterford released a statement, saying

"Waterford FC have terminated the contract of Marc Bircham. The club will be making no further comment at this time."

Bircham spoke to WLR, the local radio station and claimed that the club's statement was the first time he had heard about the removal.

The former QPR player and coach said:

"I put out a statement today which I thought was perfectly fine, just stating facts and letting everyone know I wasn't there and I won't be at the game

"Then I just found out on social media that they terminated the contract. Nobody has contacted me whatsoever."

Bircham has also said that he is forbidden from speaking to the players and the owner

"The owner texted me last night that I was suspended for a week and I'm not allowed to contact players or staff. I was surprised this morning and even more surprised now.

"My official statement is that I am surprised. It's all out of my control. The decision has been made without me.

"Hopefully the players and staff can get the job done and get what they deserve to stay in the Premier Division.

"But I've not a clue [who will take charge of the club on Friday]. I'm not allowed to speak to anyone with the club."

Bircham has become the fifth manager in 12 months to take over the club as when Waterford sat bottom of the league. The got better and finished 27 points ahead of longford, in 10th, missing out on survival.

The outspoken manager had earlier revealed his suspension by the club via a Twitter post which read:

"After a brief TEXT conversation with the owner last night, and a difference of opinion on a couple of matters I have surprisingly been given a 1 week suspension meaning I will no longer be able to manage the team Friday night in the big play-off game.

"Anyone that knows me knows that I am a man of principles and will stick to them.

"That leaves me to say I have the utmost confidence in the Players and Staff to finish off this amazing journey with the win they so richly deserve after the mammoth effort and professionalism they have applied.

"Lastly to the fans for the massive part they have played in the team's turnaround, please don't underestimate the role you have played.

"Let's finish off the great escape, come on you Blues."