Late Towell header earns vital victory for Dundalk

Late Towell header earns vital victory for Dundalk

Dundalk extended their lead at the top of the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division to three points, but left it late to secure victory against Drogheda United in a tough Louth derby at Oriel Park on Friday evening.

Although the Lilywhites enjoyed the better territory and possession it took them until two minutes from time to make the breakthrough as Richie Towell's far post header from a Dane Massey cross clinched a 1-0 win.

Bohemians continued their good run of early season form, picking up their fifth win in seven games with a 2-0 success over Longford Town at Dalymount Park.

Dean Kelly's 23rd minute header from Lorcan Fitzgerald's cross opened the scoring for Bohs while Adam Evans made an immediate impact when he came on as a substitute in the 70th minute - grabbing his side's second goal.

Bohs are in second place, a point ahead of Shamrock Rovers and Cork City, who both ended up with goalless draws from their respective games.

For Rovers, their stalemate at the Brandywell against Derry City was their third goalless draw in seven league games, and their disappointment was compounded when former Republic of Ireland international Keith Fahey was sent off in the final minute of the game.

There was also a sending off at Richmond Park in the match between St Patrick's Athletic and Cork City, where Saints' Lee Desmond was sent off for picking up two yellow cards.

Under pressure Sligo Rovers boss Owen Heary watched his side pick up their first win of the season, with a slender 1-0 win at Connacht rivals Galway United.

Dinny Corcoran's hotly disputed fifth minute penalty won the points for the Bit O'Red.

Maciej Tarnogrodzki earned a second consecutive victory as caretaker manager of Bray as the Seagulls turned in a fine second half display at home to Limerick.

Adam Hanlon, Emeka Onwubiko, David Cassidy, and Graham Kelly were all on target in a 4-0 win that extends Limerick's winless run to seven games.

In the First Division, Finn Harps maintained their unbeaten start to the season moving two points clear at the top with a 1-0 win over Athlone Town, courtesy of a second half header from central defender Keith Cowan.

More bad news for Town arrived with the news that Wexford Youths leapfrogged over them into second place, when they won 4-2 at Tolka Park against Shelbourne.

Cabinteely lost 2-0 at home in a Dublin derby against UCD, and although Waterford United striker Willie John Kiely scored for the second week in a row, he also missed a penalty late in the game against Cobh Ramblers, meaning that the Blues had to settle for a 1-1 draw.


Premier Division - Bohemians 2 Longford Town 0; Bray Wanderers 4 Limerick 0; Dundalk 1 Drogheda United 0; Derry City 0 Shamrock Rovers 0; Galway United 0 Sligo Rovers 1; St Patrick's Athletic 0 Cork City 0.

First Division - Cabinteely 0 UCD 2; Finn Harps 1 Athlone Town 0; Shelbourne 2 Wexford Youths 4; Waterford United 1 Cobh Ramblers 1.