ASHFORD CASTLE in Coy Mayo has been named the best resort hotel in the UK and Ireland by the readers of Travel and Leisure Magazine.
First constructed in 1228 and previously owned by the Guinness family, the castle is famous for serving as the backdrop for much of the John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara classic The Quiet Man.
Director John Ford filmed several scenes in the grounds of the castle as well as in the nearby village of Cong, making Ashford Castle the ideal stop-off for anyone looking to explore the making of the film.
It’s no surprise then, to see the Co Mayo castle top the vote in Travel and Leisure magazine’s annual World’s Best Awards survey.
The survey asked readers "to weigh in on travel experiences around the globe — to share their opinions on the top hotels, resorts, cities, islands, cruise ships, spas, airlines, and more."
Ashford Castle came out on top, earning praise for its facilities, location, food, service and all-round value.
The magazine said: "Readers swoon about this 13th-century retreat, once the property of the storied Guinness family."
Today, we raise a glass to the winners of Travel + Leisure's World's Best Awards! We are overjoyed to have been voted as the No. 1 Resort Hotel in the U.K. and Ireland. #TLWorldsBest #TLToast @TravelLeisure pic.twitter.com/96MTr6bONx
— Ashford Castle (@ashfordcastle) July 8, 2020
Voters described their stay at Ashford Castle as a “magical experience” with guests recalling how they were “treated like royalty” during their stay.
Commenting on the win, the hotel said they were “overjoyed” to receive the award.
The hotel said they are "overjoyed" to have been voted number one.
The magazine’s top 10 resort hotels in Ireland and the UK were:
- Ashford Castle, County Mayo, Ireland
- Ballyfin, County Laois, Ireland
- The Gleneagles Hotel, Perthshire, Scotland
- Powerscourt Hotel Resort & Spa, County Wicklow, Ireland
- Sheen Falls Lodge, County Kerry, Ireland
- The K Club, County Kildare, Ireland
- Ballynahinch Castle Hotel, County Galway, Ireland
- DromolandCastle, County Clare, Ireland
- Adare Manor, County Limerick, Ireland
- InverlochyCastle Hotel, Fort William, Highlands, Scotland