Parents jailed following death of toddler in Manchester who sustained catastrophic stab wounds

Parents jailed following death of toddler in Manchester who sustained catastrophic stab wounds

THE PARENTS of a one-year-old boy who died after sustaining catastrophic stab wounds have been jailed.

Police discovered the body of James Chilvers in the bath at a property in Beaford Road, Wythenshawe, Manchester on Sunday, August 27, 2017, having responded to reports of a domestic incident.

Magdalena Lesicka, the boy's mother, had left before police arrived and gone to hospital with James' dad, Peter Chilvers.

She was being treated for serious, self-inflicted stab wounds.

Mr Chilvers, 33, of Hewitt Grove, Northwich, was this week sentenced at Manchester Crown Court to 18 months in prison.

He was previously found guilty of coercive and controlling behaviour, common assault and criminal damage following a five-week trial.

Ms Lesicka, 33, of Beaford Road, Wythenshawe, is currently serving 15 years in prison having pleaded guilty to manslaughter with diminished responsibility at Preston Crown Court in July 2018.

'Devastating case'

Speaking after the case, Detective Chief Inspector Richard Eales, of GMP's Major Incident Team, said: "This has been one of the most devastating and complex cases that I have ever come across.

"I speak for myself and many other colleagues when I say that our thoughts will always remain with James — an innocent little boy who lost his life so needlessly."

In the days following the incident, Ms Lesicka was arrested in hospital and remained under watch by police until she recovered from her injuries.

Whilst investigating the circumstances of James' death, detectives established that she had been subjected to systematic abuse by Mr Chilvers prior to the incident.

During her impact statement, which was read out in court, Ms Lesicka said: "I hope he [Peter Chilvers] recognises that he didn't need to break me in the way he did. He has taken everything from me, including my spirit."

'Justice served'

Detective Chief Inspector Richard Eales said the case had sent shockwaves through the community.

He added: "Peter Chilvers inflicted significant domestic abuse towards Magdalena Lesicka over a sustained period of time, which the court accepts contributed towards a break down in her mental health on that fateful evening in August 2017.

"If people take anything away from this heartbreaking case, please let it be that there is support and help available for those who are suffering at the hands of domestic abuse.

"Most importantly though, I hope today's result has seen justice served for the person who matters most — James."