THE BRITISH public have named The Pogues’ festive favourite Fairytale of New York among the top 10 most annoying Christmas songs of all-time.
Shane MacGowan and Kirsty MacColl’s timeless duet may remain a firm favourite on Irish shores but it would appear the UK has had its fill.
A poll conducted by the mobile phone company Huawei saw the 1987 hit ranked sixth in the top 10 most annoying Christmas songs.
Mariah Carey – a singer with some Irish roots of her own – came out on top as the most annoying Christmas song ever, as voted by the public.
The Irish representation continues with Band Aid’s Do They Know It’s Christmas, which featuring vocals from Bob Geldof, Bono and Boy George.
Wham!, The Jackson 5 and Slade all made the list of songs that apparently prompt more jeers than cheers at Christmas time.
The full survey results for Britain’s most annoying Christmas song read as following:
- All I Want for Christmas is You - Mariah Carey
- Do They Know It's Christmas? - Band Aid
- I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday - Wizzard
- Merry Xmas Everybody - Slade
- Last Christmas - Wham!
- Fairytale of New York - The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl
- Baby It's Cold Outside - Tom Jones & Cerys Matthews
- Santa Claus is Coming to Town - Jackson 5
- Santa Baby - Eartha Kitt
- Jingle Bells - Andrews Sisters