THE QUEEN has cancelled her trip to Northern Ireland where she was due to attend a mass to celebrate the centenary of the state later this week.
It's understood that Her Majesty's doctor has advised against the two-day trip, insisting that the 95-year-old should spend a few days resting instead.
The Queen is said to have "reluctantly accepted" her doctor's advice.
Buckingham Palace said in a statement: "Her Majesty is in good spirits and is disappointed that she will no longer be able to visit Northern Ireland, where she had been due to undertake a series of engagements today and tomorrow.
"The Queen sends her warmest good wishes to the people of Northern Ireland, and looks forward to visiting in the future."
The event - which takes place at St Patrick’s Church of Ireland Cathedral in Armagh on Thursday - has been subject of much discussion, particularly after Ireland president Michael D Higgins rejected an invitation to attend last month, stating that he wanted to avoid making a "political statement" by appearing.
Despite his absence, members of the Irish Government will be in attendance - Minister for Foreign Affairs Simon Coveney and Minister of State at the Department of Defence Jack Chambers.
Sinn Fein hit out at the Government for sending Coveney and Chambers to a mass marking what they describe as "a catastrophic event for Ireland".
"Government should follow the lead of Uachtarán na hÉireann, the President of Ireland Micheal D Higgins. No member of the Irish Govt should participate in the commemoration of partition - a catastrophic event for Ireland. The decision to attend is wrong. Very wrong," said Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald.