Dramatic Rovers revival denies Dundalk

Dramatic Rovers revival denies Dundalk

Dundalk's lead at the top of the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division was trimmed back to two points after they were held at a 2-2 draw by Shamrock Rovers at the Tallaght Stadium on Friday evening.

With Republic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill rumoured to be checking on Dundalk defender Dane Massey, the Lilywhites shipped a two goal lead and Shamrock Rovers striker Michael Drennan caught the eye as his second half double earned a point.

Dundalk took the lead a minute before half time when David McMillan seized on a mix up in the Rovers defence to slot home the opener, and within a minute of the restart the visitors were two up when former Rovers man Ronan Finn pounced on a loose ball to fire in Dundalk's second goal.

The game turned in the 56th minute when Rovers' Mikey Drennan was upended by Dundalk's goalkeeper Gary Rogers inside the area. Rogers saw red to the disgust of his manager Stephen Kenny, and Drennan made no mistake with the resultant spot kick. Within four minutes, Drennan struck again, this time with a left foot shot.

Second placed Cork City narrowed the gap on Dundalk with a 2-1 win at Drogheda United. A strong first half display laid the foundations for the Leesiders, with Billy Dennehy opening the scoring on 16 minutes with a header from a Ross Gaynor cross, and two minutes later Kieran Djilali added a second.

Drogheda staged a late fightback when teenage defender Lloyd Buckley pulled one back with a header 12 minutes from time, but the visitors held out.

A first-half goal from Ciaran Kilduff was enough for St Patrick's Athletic to see off Bohemians at Dalymount Park in a Dublin derby.

Derry City drew 0-0 against Bray Wanderers at the Brandywell – the Candystripes captain Ryan McBride was sent off for a late challenge.

There was better news for Galway United, who finally got back to winning ways, picking up their second win of the season with a 3-2 victory over Limerick.

Two goals from Enda Curran and one from Gary Shanahan saw Tommy Dunne's side collect full points, leaving Limerick still searching for their first win of the campaign.

Longford Town and Sligo Rovers shared the points in a 1-1 draw at the City Calling Stadium, in a game that produced few chances overall, but two spectacular goals.

Kevin O’Connor appeared to have produced a contender for goal of the season when he beat Sligo keeper Richard Brush with a 30 yard screamer, but Sligo's David Cawley responded in kind with another thundering effort from outside the area.

In the First Division, Finn Harps extended their lead at the top of the table to five points, with Thomas McMonagle's second half goal securing a 1-0 win at Wexford Youths to maintain their unbeaten start.

Youths remain in second place, a point ahead of Athlone Town, who had to rely on a stoppage time equaliser from Philly Gorman to salvage a point in a 2-2 draw with Cabinteely at Lissywoollen.

UCD are fourth after beating Waterford United 3-0 to record back-to-back wins, and Waterford are now bottom of the table after Cobh Ramblers earned their second victory since manager Stephen Henderson returned to take charge - a 1-0 win over Shelbourne.

Premier Division - Bohemians 0 St Patrick's Athletic 1; Derry City 0 Bray Wanderers 0; Drogheda United 1 Cork City 2; Galway United 3 Limerick 2; Longford United 1 Sligo Rovers 1; Shamrock Rovers 2 Dundalk 2

First Division - Athlone Town 2 Cabinteely 2; Cobh Ramblers 1 Shelbourne 0; UCD 3 Waterford United 0; Wexford Youths 0 Finn Harps 1.