Irish officials ready to provide assistance after massive Mexico earthquake kills 32 people
News

Irish officials ready to provide assistance after massive Mexico earthquake kills 32 people

THE Irish Department of Foreign Affairs have said they are ready to provide consular assistance after a massive earthquake hit southern Mexico. 

At least 32 people were killed after a massive 8.1 magnitude earthquake erupted off the country’s southern coast on Thursday night, September 7.

The quake, one of the biggest recorded in Mexico, caused cracks in buildings and triggered a small tsunami, authorities said.

According to Reuters, a number of buildings suffered severe damage in parts of southern Mexico.

Some of the worst initial reports came from the town of Juchitan in Oaxaca state, where sections of the town hall, a hotel, a bar and other buildings were reduced to rubble.

Advertisement

Alejandro Murat, the State Governor, said 23 deaths were registered in Oaxaca alone, with 17 of them in Juchitan.

A spokesman for emergency services said seven people were also confirmed dead in the neighboring state of Chiapas.

Previously, the Governor of Tabasco, Arturo Nunez, said two children had died in his state.

In a statement to The Irish Post, the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs said while they are unaware of any Irish casualties, they stand ready to provide consular assistance.

“We are aware of reports of the Earthquake in Chiapas, Mexico and advise any Irish citizens in the area to follow the advice of local authorities.

"We are not aware of any Irish casualties at present but stand ready to provided Consular Assistance if requested."

Anyone concerned about Irish citizens in the area should contact the Department on +353 1 408 2000

Advertisement