THE Irishman at the centre of the Rio Olympics ticket scandal was refused bail in a hearing yesterday.
Kevin Mallon, the Dublin finance director of sports hospitality group, THG, was refused bail in an afternoon hearing in Rio de Janeiro yesterday, reports The Irish Examiner.
Mallon, 36, was arrested on August 5 in Rio, attempting to illegally resell VIP tickets to the games. He was later charged with possession of false tickets, associating with criminals and touting.
The solicitor acting for Mr Mallon, Franklin Gomes, told reporters his client "knows he did nothing wrong. He has no idea why this is happening to him. He is calm and in good health and safe."
In further developments yesterday, Rio Civil Police revealed at a press conference that arrest warrants had been issued for four other THG directors.
The directors named in the arrest warrant are listed as British millionaire and owner of Ipswich Town football club and THG Marcus Evans, 52, Irishman David Patrick Gilmore, 35, British man Martin Studd, 49, and Dutchman Maarten van Os, 45.
Police confirmed that the four directors could not be detained as they have not entered Brazil in recent weeks, but would be arrested should they attempt to do so.
Earlier this month, The Irish Post reported Mr Mallon's arrest after the opening ceremony in Rio where over 800 tickets were found in his possession.
A number of the tickets bore the Olympic Council of Ireland logo. the OCI issued a statement which said, "the OCI’s investigation into allegations of illegal ticket sales is progressing. We have formally requested the Rio 2016 Organising Committee to pass on immediately all evidence and relevant information from the investigating Brazilian authorities to enable the OCI to advance our inquiries as quickly as possible."
Solicitor for Kevin Mallon, Franklin Gomes, and THG Sports had been approached for comment.