Three taken hostage as minibus is hijacked at Dublin Airport

Three taken hostage as minibus is hijacked at Dublin Airport

THREE people were taken hostage after a minibus was hijacked at Dublin Airport.

It's believed that the shuttle was taken from a well-known hotel close to the airport in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Two hijackers locked the doors, effectively trapping three passengers inside, before demanding a ransom for their safe release.

They then took off in the direction of the M1 motorway, reportedly heading north towards the Northern Irish border.

The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) were alerted to the situation, but it's believed the vehicle then diverted back into Co. Monaghan.


Garda forces leaped into action, including an armed Emergency Response Unit as well as an air support unit.

It's believed that the minibus crashed into a police vehicle and the two culprits fled the scene on foot before stealing another car.

The three hostages were found safe and were thankfully unharmed.

Gardai gave chase to the suspects before apprehending them and taking them into custody.

The two men, believed to be in their 30s, are being questioned at Carrickmacross Garda Station.

A Garda spokesman said: "Two men have been arrested as part of an ongoing investigation into the unauthorised taking of a mini bus and suspected false imprisonment of three passengers following an incident at Dublin Airport on 8th January 2020.


"Shortly before 1am the alarm was raised when a minibus was taken during an incident at Dublin Airport. It’s understood that three passengers were in the mini bus when two males boarded the bus and drove in the direction of the M1. The passengers alighted from the bus a short time later on the M1 near Julianstown, unharmed."

They continued: "It’s understood the minibus continued north on the M1 until it was located near Drogheda and followed by Garda units before crossing the border north of Dundalk.

"The PSNI were alerted and the minibus was located again a short time later having returned across the border in Co. Monaghan and was followed by Gardai before it was abandoned having crashed.

"The two occupants of the minibus fled on foot before taking possession of a parked car. This car was intercepted by Garda RSU members with assistance from Garda Air Support near Castleblayney a short time later.

"The occupants of the car, two men in their 30s, were arrested and are currently detained under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act, 1984 at Carrickmacross Garda Station.

"Investigations are ongoing and further updates will follow."