A TWO-YEAR-OLD boy has been hospitalised in Belfast after ingesting a large amount of cannabis.
Police in Northern Ireland have launched an investigation after the toddler was left fighting for his life, The Irish News reports.
The boy was admitted to the Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children during the last fortnight, where he was placed on a ventilator.
Belfast Trust has yet to comment on the incident due to patient confidentiality rules.
The boy involved accidentally ingested the drug.
Despite being gravely ill when first admitted, his condition is said to have stabilised.
Five adults have since been arrested on suspicion of child cruelty.
Officers have also searched the home of the infant.
A PSNI spokesperson told the Irish News: "In response to a report of alleged child cruelty, police arrested a 25-year-old male and 20-year-old female on June 13. During a follow-up search of a residential property, a number of items were recovered for examination including a quantity of tablets, medication and drugs paraphernalia.
"During follow-up enquiries, a 51-year-old female, 28-year-old male and 27-year-old female were also arrested on suspicion of child cruelty on June 14. Each of the people arrested have subsequently been released pending further enquiry."
The incident comes just over a week since a warning was issued to parents over the potential dangers posed by cannabis-laced sweets.
The Department of Education has asked schools to warn of the threat and potential effects of consuming these seemingly innocent sweets.
They include hallucinations, nausea and vomiting.