Dundalk triumph at Turners Cross

Dundalk triumph at Turners Cross

DUNDALK extended their lead at the top of the SSE Airtricity Premier Division to five points at the weekend, after emerging victorious from their eagerly awaited clash with Cork City at Turners Cross.

In front of a sell out crowd, goals either side of half-time from Richie Towell secured an 2-1 win for the Lilywhites, which opened up a five point gap between themselves and the Leesiders, who remain in second place.

A defensive mix up presented the home side with the opener, Billy Dennehy's right wing cross being deflected past Dundalk goalkeeper Gary Rogers by defender Andy Boyle, but Towell replied with two goals for the visitors'.

Shamrock Rovers are a point behind Cork City in third place, after a late goal from Brandon Miele rescued a point in a 1-1 draw against bottom of the table Limerick at Jackman Park.

Limerick captain Shane Duggan gave his side a half time lead, but Miele levelled late on.

Bohemians are level on points with Rovers, after they came from behind to maintain their unbeaten away league record with a 2-1 win at Derry City.

Patrick McEleney put Derry ahead with his first league goal of the season, but Kealan Dillon equalised for Bohs with a goal of the season contender, volleying into the top right hand corner of the net from 25 yards.

Marc Griffin converted a cross from Patrick Kavanagh 13 minutes from time to clinch victory for the visitors.

St Patrick's Athletic remain in touch with the top of the table after a comfortable 3-0 home win over struggling Sligo Rovers. Aaron Greene scored twice either side of half time, and Chris Forrester wrapped up the points with a cracking strike five minutes from time.

Drogheda United have now gone eight games without a win after slumping to a 3-0 home defeat at the hands of Longford Town - David O’Sullivan and from Mark Salmon (2) scored for the midlanders'.

There was an even more comprehensive away win at the Carlisle Grounds, where a hat-trick from Enda Curran helped Galway United to a 5-0 win over Bray Wanderers that moves them ahead of The Seagulls and out of the relegation zone. Ryan Connolly and Padraic Cunningham were also on target for the Tribesmen in their first away win of the season.

In the First Division, Finn Harps are five points clear at the top of the table after a 1-0 win over Shelbourne. Thirty five year old Kevin McHugh's late penalty maintained Harps' unbeaten start to the campaign and keeps them five points clear at the top of the First Division table.

The individual performance of the weekend was at Ferrycarrig Park, where Danny Furlong made his 170th appearance for Wexford Youths, making him the top appearance maker for the club, and he marked the occasion in grand style by scoring five goals in Youths' 7-0 win over Cabinteely.

The win was the highest in Youths' league history, and keeps them in second place, a point ahead of Athlone Town who beat Waterford United 1-0, Gavin Boyne's first goal for the club in the 74th minute proving decisive.

Cobh Ramblers maintained their progress since Stephen Henderson returned to the managerial hot seat, a Stephen Kenny penalty earning them a point at UCD from a 1-1 draw.


Premier Division: Bray Wanderers 0 Galway United 5; Cork City 1 Dundalk 2; Derry City 1 Bohemians 2; Drogheda United 0 Longford Town 3; Limerick 1 Shamrock Rovers 1; St Patrick's Athletic 3 Sligo Rovers 0.

First Division: Athlone Town 1 Waterford United 0; Finn Harps 1 Shelbourne 0; UCD 1 Cobh Ramblers 1; Wexford Youths 7 Cabinteely 0.